Crimson Crossovers: Oliver McNally and Chauncey Billups

To which NBA player is Oliver McNally most similar?
By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. On Dec. 25, we all shared in a gift that is way better than any Christmas sweater or box of chocolates. Yep, professional basketball is back. To ring in the good times, we at The Back Page have set out to find the best NBA match for several of Harvard’s own ballers. Which NBA player is most like each Crimson star? Keep reading to find out.

Oliver McNally – 7.9 PPG, 3.5 APG, 2.3 RPG (2011-2012 season)

During his junior season, McNally ranked second nationally in free-throw percentage, shooting 92.6 percent from the line, setting a single season record for the Crimson. Over the last three seasons, McNally has shot 44.6 percent from the field and 37 percent from beyond the arc. But McNally’s leadership has made as much, if not more, of an impact on his team than his physical play. As Harvard men’s basketball coach Tommy Amaker said, “[His role] is invaluable. …Without his heart and soul, we’re not where we’ve been in the past, and we’re certainly not where we want to go in the future.” Which NBA player possesses a similar skill set to McNally?

Chauncey Billups – 15.5 PPG, 5.6 APG, 2.9 RPG (Career)

In his early days of pre-Detroit Piston basketball, Billups played a role very similar to that of McNally. He was a guard whose success centered on his slick jump shot rather than defensive quickness. In terms of his free-throw proficiency, Billups is 13th all time on the NBA postseason made free-throw lists with 776 makes to his name. His career average now ranks among the best at 89.4 percent. Along with his more than steady shooting, Billups has been a leader for every team that he has played on since the start of his career. Whether it was guiding his talented, yet somewhat rowdy, Pistons team to the 2004 NBA Championship, or acting as a stabilizing force for the offensively oriented New York Knicks last season, Billups has remained a rock for his teammates and coaching staff.

Both Oliver McNally and Chauncey Billups have used offensive efficiency, dead-eye accuracy, and strong leadership to guide their teams during their respective careers. Each relies heavily on his shot to anchor his play on the offensive end, while also counting on his vocal ability to support his teammates.

To just call one of these guards great for his shooting skills would be to close a book before the very end. What makes McNally and Billups stand out from the crowd is their shared ability to lead, direct, and serve as a role model for their teammates—and doing so while never forgetting to hold their follow through from the foul line.

Men's BasketballSports Blog