Harvard Sports Trivia Challenge

By Robert S Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

Regardless of team allegiance, all sports fans seem to agree on two things. One: We love lists and rankings (for proof, look no further than ESPN’s unnecessarily dramatic ranking of the top 500 players in baseball). And two: We love trivia.

We’re no exception here at The Back Page. And while we’ve made our fair share of rankings, we’ve skimped on the trivia—until now. Below, we’ve compiled a Harvard athletics trivia challenge with 10 questions, ranging from, to put it in golf lingo, tap-ins to 50-foot double breakers.

Check back tomorrow for the answers.

1. Which offensive tackle who played in the famous 1968 Harvard-Yale game roomed with Al Gore '69 freshman year?

2. Name the two teams that the Harvard men’s basketball team played in its 1946 and 2012 NCAA tournament appearances.

3. The 1998 Harvard women’s basketball team defeated which No. 1 seeded opponent in the first round of the NCAA tournament?

4. What is the first and the longest-running American intercollegiate sports event?

5. This season, both junior Colton Chapple and senior Collier Winters tied a single-game Harvard record by throwing how many touchdowns?

6. Harvard Stadium is one of four athletic venues in the country that is also a National Historic Landmark. What are the other three?

7. Which golfing legend is a Harvard grad?

8. Tennis star James Blake lived in which Harvard house?

9. Which spouse of a current Harvard coach has won an Olympic gold medal as a competitor?

10. Which current NHL player was part of the first trio of brothers to play for the Harvard hockey team at the same time?

Sports Blog