Procrastination Material from Crimson Sports

By Robert S Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

It’s that time of year. Reading Period is almost over, the cramming has begun, and exams are waiting just around the corner.

And if you’re looking for that much needed break from studying, Crimson Sports has got you covered. Below, we’ve compiled some of the best articles we’ve written all year for your procrastination pleasure. Enjoy.

Check back later this week, as Scott Sherman takes an in-depth look at Paul DePodesta ’95, the brains behind “Moneyball” and the inspiration for Jonah Hill’s character, Peter Brand, in the 2011 movie.

Minnis Forges Unlikely Path to Harvard

Men’s and women’s water polo coach Ted Minnis didn’t exactly take the road most traveled on his way to Cambridge. In fact, before eventually earning a college degree, Minnis dropped out of high school after the birth of his son, working as a part-time coach and driving a meat delivery truck.

Hitting the Century Park

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the first contest ever played at Fenway Park. The matchup? Harvard versus the Red Sox.

Weight Loss

Why are heights and weights listed on so many male athletic rosters but virtually no female rosters? Julie Zauzmer looks into the answer.

Coast to Coast and Home Works

“Coast to Coast” and “Home Works” represent the first and second parts of an ongoing series discussing the relationship between high schools’ athletic and academic programs in the Harvard admissions process. In “Coast to Coast,” Alex Koenig looks at Corona Del Mar and Los Gatos, two public schools in California that have more student-athletes at Harvard than any other public school in the nation. In “Home Works,” he discusses nearby Cambridge Rindge and Latin, which sends many students—but few student-athletes—to Harvard.

Officially There

We love to yell at the refs and question every call they make. But what goes on behind the scenes in the lives of the Ivy League officials?

Walking the Talk

Every year, between 40 and 100 rowers decide to walk on to Harvard and Radcliffe crews. It doesn’t take long before the rigors of the process become too great for many, who eventually quit. Claire Dailey examines this arduous process.

Matt Birk’s Big Play

Christina McClintock looks into the professional career of Ravens center Matt Birk ’98, who won the 2011 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award for his work on and off the field.

Mother’s Dedication Motivates Wright

Ever wonder why men’s basketball captain and former Ivy League Player of the Year Keith Wright wears the number 44? To honor one of the most important people in his life: his mother, Sabrena Tabron.

Taking a Gamble: Betting on Harvard Men’s Basketball

The recent success of the Harvard men’s basketball team hasn’t only made waves on the hardwood of the Ancient Eight. Bettors in Las Vegas sportsbooks are noticing, too.

And if you have a bit more time….

The Rise of Harvard Basketball

We take an in-depth look at perhaps the most compelling story in Harvard sports in years: the unprecedented and rapid transformation of the men’s basketball program. Once a perennial underperformer, the team cracked the nation’s Top-25 and earned a spot in the NCAA tournament for the first time in 66 years thanks to the vision of Tommy Amaker and the support of dedicated alumni.

BaseballMen's BasketballMen's CrewWomen's CrewFootballMen's Water PoloWomen's Water PoloSports BlogDepartment of Athletics