Crimson Capital

By Jacob W. Lynch, Crimson Staff Writer

While most non-athletes are gradually easing back into the swing of classes and schoolwork, winter-sport athletes have been on the grind and back in Boston for a while now. It’s getting down to the wire as some winter sports face some tough tests towards the end of their schedule. How have they been faring recently? How's on the rise and who's stock is falling? The Back Page will take a look at who’s hot and who’s not as we head into the critical final weeks of the winter season.

Onwards and Upwards:

Women’s Track and Field:

Freshman Martina Salander placed second at the Texas A&M Invitational, breaking a school record in the process. She became the first Crimson athlete to top the 4,000 point mark, placing in the top three in each event. In sprints, the 4x400 meter relay team, won the Terrier Invitational, topping a field of over 40 competitors.

Men’s Basketball:

While last Saturday’s contest against Dartmouth was certainly not the best game of the season for Harvard, during the final three minutes of regulation and the overtime period the Crimson were lights out, making up a thirteen point deficit to eventually win by five and remain undefeated in conference play. This weekend, the Crimson hosted Yale and Brown in an Ivy League double header and came away victorious in both contests, though not without some more overtime drama.

Hit or Miss:

Women’s Basketball:

After a three game winning streak to start the new year, the Crimson lost a league contest against Dartmouth. After a blowout win against the Big Green at home on January 12, Harvard travelled to Andover and lost in a low scoring affair. The Crimson failed to put up at least 60 points for the first time this season. But Harvard rebounded nicely with back-to-back road wins this weekend against Yale and Brown.

Women’s Hockey:

The Crimson had not lost in 14 games until Clarkson upset it 3-1 last weekend. However, the next day, Harvard bounced back, beating St. Lawrence 3-2 in overtime. The Crimson, who were previously ranked second in the country, dropped one spot to No. 3 in the standings. For the season, they boast an impressive 17-2-2 record, trailing only Minnesota and Boston College in the polls. On Friday, though, Harvard travelled to Dartmouth for a league contest, only to come away with a tie. It was a tough blow in their final contest before the Beanpot.

Stock Falling

Men’s Hockey: Facing myriad injuries, the Crimson, who started the season highly ranked, has lost six straight and ten of eleven. The potential is there, however, as shown by an overtime win against now No. 11 Boston University. But in their final tune-up before the Beanpot, Harvard was shut out, 3-0, by Rensselaer. They now face No. 5 Boston College on Monday. If the Crimson can pull of the upset, it will give the so far disappointing season a whole new flavor.

Men's Basketball