Ryan Fitzpatrick '05 Embracing Starting Role with the New York Jets

Ryan Fitzpatrick '05 has led the New York Jets to four wins thus far in 2015.
By Bryan Hu, Contributing Writer

NFL veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05 entered the 2015-2016 campaign as the backup quarterback for the New York Jets, but a bizarre locker-room incident pushed him into the lead role before preseason even started.

Seven weeks into the season, it seems like the former Harvard quarterback and 11th-year NFL journeyman might finally be finding his groove.

Fitzpatrick was set to start for the sixth different team of his career after incumbent starter Geno Smith got in a fight with a teammate and had his jaw broken. Even with new head coach Todd Bowles and a bevy of new star players providing for a new-look team, the incident prompted many to preemptively write off the Jets’ season as a train wreck.

So far, however, the season has not gone according to that script. Fitzpatrick led the Jets to a 31-10 week 1 drubbing of the Cleveland Browns, and the group has since gone on to a record of 4-2 with Fitzpatrick at the helm. The Arizona native has thrown for over 1400 yards on the season, with 13 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

The Jets’ four wins already matches its win total of last year’s 4-12 season.

On Sunday, Fitzpatrick threw for 295 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-23 loss to the undefeated New England Patriots. Despite the loss, Fitzpatrick posted a higher passer rating than Tom Brady did, 97.7 to 94.3, and threw no interceptions.

Fitzpatrick is also coming off the best season in his 11-year career. Last year, for the Houston Texans, he posted a QB rating of 95.3 and a completion percentage of 63.1, both career highs. Fitzpatrick was traded from the Texans to the Jets for a conditional late-round draft pick in March.

Fitzpatrick majored in economics at Harvard, meanwhile throwing for a total of 3756 yards in his junior and senior years with Crimson. He led the team to a 10-0 record and an Ivy League Championship in 2004.

FootballSports Blog