Ross Douthat and Gen Ed

Ross DOW-thut
Ross DOW-thut

CORRECTION APPENDED

Joining The New York Times's editorial page tomorrow in mid-April will be former Crimson columnist Ross Gregory Douthat '02, who at 29 is set to be the youngest columnist for the Grey Lady "ever"--filling in after Bill Kristol '73's illustrious yearlong tenure. Details on his extensive views on Harvard's curriculum after the jump.

Oh, the Core. Right after his faux nostalgia for the Core's specialized mainstays, Douthat then pours on the acid:

Douthat would be happy about the fact that the Core is getting eliminated, then--right? No, it turns out he hates the new General Education program as much as the Core. When Harvard's Faculty approved Gen Ed in May 2007, Douthat lambasted the new legislation in his blog for The Atlantic:

FlyBy teems with anticipation at the expected Douthat column on Harvard's curriculum, as this has been his focus since leaving his Quincy house residence. It may be the only time a good number of Harvard students agree with the conservative columnist's thoughts. Oh, and have you been trying out different pronunciations of his name while reading this? FlyBy's got you covered: it's DOW-thut.

CORRECTION: The original version of "Ross Douthat and Gen-Ed" stated that Douthat would be joining the New York Times the day after the post ran.  In fact, he has been hired for the columnist position, but will not begin writing columns until mid-April.  The Crimson regrets the error.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.