People Who Are Younger and More Successful Than You Are

Sometimes it’s easy to feel good about having gotten into Harvard. And then you accidentally turn on the Scripps National Spelling Bee and watch a six-year-old spell a word you can’t even pronounce. The truth is, great though Harvard students may be, there are younger people out there who are already (gasp!) more successful than you are. While you might still have the chance to become the next Zuckerburg, you've sadly missed your slim window of opportunity to become a child prodigy or a pre-teen superstar (unless you already are and that's why you go here, in which case you can stop reading). As you mourn your lost child-star potential, check out our list of people who are both younger and more successful than you are.

Lorde

She’s never seen a diamond in the flesh… but she has seen her first single, "Royals," hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100… and stay there for six weeks, beating out 41-year-old Eminem (take a moment to process how long ago 1999 was) and, somehow, even One Direction. Lorde just turned 17 last Thursday, making her at least a full year younger than the average Harvard freshman.

Gabby Douglas

While we are all unbelievably honored to be attending one of the most squirrel-obsessed colleges in the country, 17 year-old Gabby Douglas has been honored with the nickname “Flying Squirrel”—and two Olympic gold medals.

Jaden and Willow Smith

Jaden Smith, 15, has starred in movies like "The Karate Kid" and "The Pursuit of Happyness," released a mixed-tape, started a clothing brand, and even rapped with none other than Justin Bieber. His little sister, Willow, is no slacker, either. At just 13 years old, Willow has acted in several movies, including "I Am Legend," and whipped her hair all the way to number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Jordan Romero

Let’s be honest. After climbing five full floors to your dorm room, you sometimes take a little breather before digging out your key. While the struggle of living on the top floor of a dormitory is incredibly real, don’t complain about it to Jordan Romero: four years ago, Jordan topped Mount Everest at the ripe age of 13.

Abigail Breslin

When you were 10, you were probably watching "Rugrats," drinking Nesquik, and playing Bop It. Abigail Breslin, on the other hand, was busy being nominated for an Academy Award for her role in "Little Miss Sunshine." Now 17, Abigail has made the transition from child star to near-adult actress (she can currently be seen in "Ender's Game" and "August: Osage County") sans any Britney-style breakdowns.

Jack Andraka

Grand prize-winner of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, 16-year-old Jack invented a quick and inexpensive test to detect pancreatic, ovarian, and lung cancers. All of this without having ever stepped into LPSA—or onto a college campus.

MusicFilmFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.