Feeling Like a Small Fish?: 6 Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem

•

In a recent interview with Anderson Cooper, Malcolm Gladwell discussed his new book, "David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants." Gladwell took the time to comment on the kinds of damage an Ivy League education can do to one's self esteem.

"If you go to an elite school where the other students in your class are all really brilliant," Gladwell told Cooper (who is himself a Yale alum), "you run the risk of mistakenly believing yourself to not be a good student.... If you're last in your class at Harvard, it doesn't feel like you're a good student, even though you really are."

Any student here would agree that there are times at Harvard when that can ring true. Flyby's here to make sure you don't always have to feel like that. Here's our list of ways to boost your self-esteem if you're feeling like a guppy.

Treat Yourself

Tom Haverford said it best. Getting yourself a little treat can brighten your mood and give you something to look forward to, whether it's a piping hot chocolate or an amazing new pair of shoes. And that's not the only way to treat yourself. Let yourself watch half an hour of TV. Blast your favorite guilty pleasure song ("Wrecking Ball," anyone?) and dance around your room. Get one of those ten-minute massages at the Wellness Center. Go play soccer (even in the freezing cold). It'll make you feel better about life. We guarantee it.

Memory Lane

Old birthday cards, yearbook signatures, your friends' Facebook albums from middle school—all these things are likely to put a smile on your face. It's hilarious to read the ridiculous things you and your friends said and thought back in the day. Plus, there's nothing better than remembering that you no longer look like you did in middle school. No matter how smart and accomplished we Harvard students may be, that was a rough time for all of us.

Get off Facebook

People say this a lot and then ignore it, but it's a fact: social media makes you sadder. Seeing other people's pictures and friends and status updates inevitably makes you see your own in a worse light. News flash: all those other people see your pictures and friends and status updates and think the same thing. The grass is always green, so get off Facebook.

Talk it Out

Find your proctor, PAF, tutor, or close friend. Call your parents, chat with your favorite dining hall worker, or go talk to a peer counselor. It feels good to vent.

Take a Nap

Self-explanatory. Everything is better after a nap.

Remember How You Got Here

Yeah, you're at Harvard. The important thing to remember is that you were chosen to be here; something about you was special enough to make you stand out from the rest. Don't forget that something (even when you get your CS50 midterm back next week).

HealthHarvard in the WorldMental HealthFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.