Harvard Today: November 2, 2015

•
By Michael D. Ledecky

Welcome to November, Harvard. We hope you had a safe and enjoyable Halloweekend, and that you’re ready to get back into the swing of things (don’t worry, we at Flyby aren’t ready either). On this day in 1895, there was the first gasoline-powered race in the United States, with the first prize of $2,000.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be more or less the same as the day before, with highs of 61 and lows of 45.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Pork Sausage Sub

Baked Multigrain Spaghetti

Boiled Potatoes with Parsley

Dinner:

Emerald Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry

Salmon with Ginger Sauce

Vegetable Lo Mein

IN THE NEWS

Adams House Introduces Gender-Neutral Bathrooms

In early September, Adams House underwent a subtle but substantial change: Administrators relabeled bathrooms throughout the House, replacing some gender-specific restrooms with gender-neutral ones.

Black Lives Matter March Calls for Reforms

Activists from the Black Lives Matter movement marched down Massachusetts Avenue on Sunday afternoon, rallying for affordable housing protection and wage reform in Cambridge. The rally fell just two days before Tuesday’s Cambridge City Council and Cambridge School Committee elections.

Peabody Museum Celebrates Day of the Dead

The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology hosted a Day of the Dead celebration—also known as “Día de los Muertos”—on Sunday, when museum patrons learned about the Mexican holiday through participating in traditions and sampling a range of foods, including “pan de muerto” and Mexican hot chocolate.

ON FLYBY

Flyby Investigates: Guac Talk

The official rating of all the guacamole in Harvard Square.

Eva & Nacho Review: Jenny’s Cafe in the Harvard Art Museums

Eva and Nacho take Jenny’s Cafe.

EVENTS

Cornell Belcher, Pollster for the DNC (2005-2008) and for Obama for President (2008, 2012), President of Brilliant Corners Research & Strategies, will be leading a discussion of the stark racial polarization in national voting patterns since the signing of the Civil Rights Act. This event will be in the IOP Faculty Dining Room at 4 p.m.

The Harvard Foundation is holding an off-the-record student-led discussion about how the changes in social spaces on campus have affected students, particularly through the lens of identity. This event will be in the Lowell JCR at 7 p.m.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.