Harvard Today: February 25, 2015

Happy Wednesday, Harvard! We’re almost halfway through the first full week we’ve had this semester. If you’re anything like us, that doesn’t seem like much, but as long as we make it through today we’ll be closer to this weekend than last. Sometimes that’s all you can ask for.

By Daniel N. Yue

In the D-Halls

Lunch

Chicken Tikka Masala

Salmon Burger with Fresh Spinach

Whole Wheat Penne with Mushroom Ragout

Dinner

Bacon

Multigrain Penne with Chicken and Broccoli

Roasted Pork Loin with Cream Mushroom Sauce

Cranberry Baked French Toast

In the Atmosphere

Heatwave alert! Today should be sunny with temperatures around 30º. It’s practically summer!

In Flyby

Quincy Open Don't Care — A collection of the most outlandish emails from the Quincy listserv.

In the News

After Controversial Attendance Study, Committee Will Discuss Privacy — “After University President Drew G. Faust referred the discussion of news that researchers had photographed thousands of students last year without their knowledge to an electronic oversight committee, that body is discussing the broad implications related to privacy and expects to report back to her by the end of the term.”

Police Respond to ‘Uptick’ in Package Thefts — “The Harvard University Police Department is working to address an “uptick in package thefts” as it observes an increase in reports of missing items, particularly at graduate apartment-style housing, according to HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano.”

Events

Freshman Lunch with Martha Coakley — “Press Freedom v. The Right to a Fair Trial.” The IOP and FDO are hosting a luncheon and discussion with Martha Coakley at Dean Dingman’s house at 12pm. (Note: this is a lotteried event)

Asian American Academic Achievement — Christine Yano, Anthropology Professor of University of Hawai'i of Manoa, is holding a roundtable discussion on how people talk about the educational achievement of Asian Americans. 1pm at 2 Arrow St (room 408).

Modernizing Our Democracy — Republican Strategist Matt Lira will be hosting a Study Group with guest David Almacy (White House Digital Director for Bush) about the White House’s use of digital platforms to increase citizen engagement. 4pm in the Faculty Dining Room at the Kennedy School.

Money in Politics — at 4pm in L166 at the Kennedy School, Senator Kay R. Hagan will be leading a study group about the impact of political spending on campaigns and legislation.

Women in STEM Dinner — Harvard College Scientista is holding its first dinner in a series of meals to allow students to meet distinguished women in STEM fields.Tonight at 5 in the Lowell Small Dining Room, Dr. Susan Mango will speaking to attendants. (Note: this is a lotteried event)

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.