Yard Chat: Harvard's New Yik Yak

•
By Courtesy of Yard Chat

Once upon a time, college students relied on Yik Yak as the hub for anonymously posting their random musings and seeking validation from their peers. Though it was a fun platform for sharing inside jokes within universities, the location-based discussion platform shut down in 2017 due to increased complaints of discrimination and cyberbullying. However, it appears that its spirit has been reborn through Yard.chat, an anonymous message board whose creator has not yet been revealed. The platform serves as a helpful resource for sharing valuable tips, but it’s also a space for Harvard students to gratuitously talk about ~just Harvard~ things. Here are a few gems from the website:

Even Yard Chat loves John.
Even Yard Chat loves John. By Courtesy of Yard Chat

Currently reigning as the most-upvoted post is unanimous praise for our dearly loved John from Annenberg. No matter what background we may come from, this is something we can all agree on.

Looking for your next Friday night move?
Looking for your next Friday night move? By Courtesy of Yard Chat

What better way to use an anonymous discussion board than to shamelessly promote parties? The days of desperately asking “what’s the wave” and aimlessly walking around the Quad are over.

HUDS never escapes without some scrutiny.
HUDS never escapes without some scrutiny. By Courtesy of Yard Chat

Some have used the platform to publicly vent their hot takes about HUDS menu options. Although passionate in intention, you’re probably better off just texting the HUDS number with your complaint. Keep fighting the good fight, though.

Settled, once and for all.
Settled, once and for all. By Courtesy of Yard Chat

This is easily the best post on the platform. We don’t make the rules.

While similar to Yik Yak both in concept and in appearance, this platform differs in that it promises a better reboot with a more lighthearted culture. According to its FAQ, Yard.chat is “intended as a place to air opinions that normally are kept private and to share the personal stories which have no other outlet.” Note that the website establishes strict ground rules prohibiting bullying, direct references to people, and slurs.

Considering that this feature isn’t the first technological innovation to sprout from this year, we can probably anticipate seeing more crowded classrooms in Maxwell-Dworkin and a lot more laptops adorned with stickers from tech companies. The future is now, and it deserves an upvote.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby CultureFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.