How To Vibe Check Your Zoom Class

By Sarah M. Lightbody

So you’re home. There’s no red brick, no bright green and blue Science Center lecture halls, and your blockmates have been replaced by your parents. The vibes are more than a little different, and with classes starting on Zoom, they’re about to get even crazier. But that doesn’t mean you have to spend the rest of the semester in a funk. Here’s how to vibe check your classes on Zoom.

Get your space in check

Repurpose those party lights you had in your dorm room to become Section Party Lights. Find a window so that if the vibes aren’t good you can look out into the world. Practice a little #socialdistancing with your parents. They don’t really need to come to Gen Ed 1152: “The Incas and Their Empire.” However, nobody can see your full-size Harry Styles poster, so no need to take that down. I’m sure Harry would love to hear your professor use the word “dialectic” four times in one minute, so why deny him the pleasure?

Rock a new lecture look

Put on some sunglasses. Not only will it let everybody know that you’re an absolute chiller, but you can also roll your eyes at any off-vibe comments that people may make. Plus, they’re a great way to dress up your mismatched sweatsuit that you’ve had since seventh grade. Oddly saggy sweatpant-capris are a vibe unto themselves.

Keep your blood moving

Put Zoom on mute and have a dance break. You’ll get your heartrate up and give your classmates a look at all those TikTok dances you’ve been learning. It’ll be like a Friday night in the Cabot Aquarium except on a Wednesday and at 10:30 a.m. Bonus points if you can get other people moving.

Pack a snack

Class time is now officially mealtime. No lab chemicals can get in the way, and you have more than just a tiny fold out desk to lay out your feast. Gather your crunchiest snacks, your smelliest sandwiches, and enjoy yourself. No food is taboo.

Directly vibe check

Zoom lets you send individual messages to people in a group call. There has never been a more direct, yet private way to tell somebody that they are absolutely not vibing (or totally vibing!). Works for section kids, works for overenthusiastic people in different time zones who didn’t have to get up at 7 a.m. for a 9 a.m. class. Also could work for professors.

Be nice to your professors and TFs

This is disruptive to them too. Actually show up to class on time, maybe consider participating. The nicer you are to them, the more they’ll support you on your (remote) vibe journey. Consider adding them on Houseparty. They like fun too.

If all else fails, yelling out “vibe check!” is still an option. What are they going to do, make you leave school? Oh wait.

Student LifeFlyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureHow to HarvardCoronavirus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.