How to Not Have Your Head Hurt Like Crazy After All This Screen Time

By Nicholas M Mendez

With professors running overtime, our social hangouts restricted to Houseparty, and TikTok as our only source of entertainment, we’re looking at our screens more now than ever — if that’s even possible. Here’s how to avoid a massive headache after all this screen time!

Night Shift

If you want a quick and easy way to reduce blue light, set up Night Shift on your computer and phone. It will give your screen a slightly yellowish tint that blocks out the blue light that gives you headaches.

Blue Light Glasses

Alternatively, if you want to spice up your look to impress your Zoom crush, you can get special glasses that will filter out the blue light while also making you feel like a true academic — even with classes that are all SAT/UNSAT.

Take Frequent Breaks

We don’t need another excuse to procrastinate, so let’s call it “self-care.” But instead of scrolling through Instagram, put your phone down and take a walk outside or read a chapter of a book you’ve been promising you’d finish since freshman year. If you don’t have time to do that, follow the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Work in a Well Lit Area

As much as we want to be writing our essays at 3 a.m. under the covers with all the lights turned off, working in a dark room with laptops isn’t great for your eyes. If you have to pull an all nighter to grind out that paper you have due first thing tomorrow, make sure to turn on the lights to reduce eye strain.

Though we have to basically always be on our screens during quarantine, it doesn’t have to come with a migraine. And hey, with the new SAT/UNSAT grading standards, at least our grades aren’t giving us headaches anymore — just our screens!

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.