How To: Write and Send a Letter

By Will Christenfeld

After months in quarantine, we’ve grown a little tired of seeing our friends through Netflix Party, Skribbl.io, and Houseparty. Looking for a new way to communicate with your friends that doesn’t involve a screen? Read on to discover the art of the letter.

Who do you send it to?

Maybe you’ve been writing secret love letters that you hide in your closet, or you haven’t written a letter since elementary school. The great thing about letters is that they never go out of style, and can be sent to everyone. Send a future note to yourself, write a fun letter to your friends, or let your family know you care about them. If you’re adventurous and want to make a new friend, you can find a pen pal here!

How do you mail it?

Like us, mail comes in all shapes and sizes. Buy a local postcard for a little personal flair, or browse the Target aisle for the funniest card and stick a stamp on it, which can be found at your local mail center. If you’re feeling extra nice, you can even get a box and fill it with your favorite snacks to show your letter recipient that you love them. You can also buy a gift from Etsy and add a personalized note.

What do you write in it?

A blank piece of paper is a lot more daunting than a blue text bubble on a phone screen. But this empty canvas also holds so much opportunity to let your mind run free. If you mess up, you can just start over with a new sheet of paper instead of agonizing over that text you accidentally sent to the wrong person. If you’re writing to your family, they really just want to know you’re okay, so let them know every detail of your day, from what you ate for breakfast to your horrible Zoom class, and make sure to note how much you miss them for extra brownie points. If you’re writing to a pen pal, add some questions at the end to spice up the conversation and learn more about the receiver.

What else could you put in the package?

Don’t feel like writing? Send small gifts instead. For a friend group, you could thrift a cute jean jacket and send it across the country from friend to friend, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants style. At each stop, someone can add a patch or pin to it, and by the end of the year you’ll have an adorable memory. If denim isn’t your style, share some photos for wall decor, or send non-perishable snacks to your quarantine cutie.

As classes start and the stress follows, sending and receiving letters are the perfect way to add a little slice of joy and excitement to your day. Reconnect with old friends, spice up your Zoom call with a surprise package, or meet a new friend from around the world.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front FeatureHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.