BASKETBALL FORGES TO FORE IN WINTER SPORT

University Five Scrimmages--35 Report in Initial 1931 Turnout--Graduate League to Be Formed

With the University basketball squad engaging in its first scrimmage last night, and the first meeting of the Freshmen hoopmen, basketball came definitely to the fore among the winter sports. Announcement was also made last night of the first meetings of interclass and graduate school basketball leagues on Thursday.

Two scrimmages were held by the University squad last night, and three or four scrimmages a week will be a part of the program from now on, according to Coach E. A. Wachter.

Coach Wachter and A. W. Samborski '25, Freshman basketball coach, spoke to the 35 first year men who turned out in the Freshman Athletic Building last night. Practice will start today at 4 o'clock with drills on passing, dribbling, and shooting baskets, with scrimmaging toward the end of the week.

To provide students of the graduate schools a chance to play basketball, it is proposed to form a graduate school league, and the first meeting of graduate students interested will be held in Hemenway Gymnasium at 3.30 o'clock. Practice for the graduate teams will be held at 3 and 4 o'clock on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.