CAMBRIDGE CANTONMENTS

The official authorization of a junior training camp at the University makes definite the plans of President Lowell. All men who are now prohibited by youth or inexperience from attending the final camps should spend the prescribed three months immediately in training here. There is no reason for properly qualified men delaying the time of their active commission one week, either because they would prefer to dally in Cambridge three months longer, or because they are unnerved at the close approach of the time of active service.

But for those who are ineligible for the Plattsburg camp, the preliminary camp here will prove of great value. The Government justly sees fit to refrain from granting commissions to minors. Although this may keep a sparse few competent men from undertaking work for which they are qualified, it has the general good effect of insuring some degree of maturity for officers. Such men can profitably use the junior training till they are of age to undertake active duty for a prospective commission. Thereby they will insure for themselves a greater state of fitness when they are needed, and have the consciousness of doing their utmost till that need arises.

Everyone has been told in no uncertain voice why he should prepare himself for his duties as a man. It is no place here to urge again. Those who are men have already enrolled themselves in some service or are preparing to do it now. Those who are not may face the self-knowledge of what they represent.