FALL TRACK.

At this season of the year football and the success of the football team are naturally preminent in the mind of everyone. The result of the Harvard-Yale track meet next May seems of little importance, and the fact that members of the track team are actually preparing now for the meets in the spring is forgotten. It may be well to mention a few unpleasant facts about the Yale meet of last May. In the first place Harvard was decisively beaten. Also, Harvard had one competing entry in the high-jump to Yale's four, in the pole-vault three competing entries to Yale's five and a similarly unfortunate showing in the shot-put. This is a disgraceful statement and one that ought to shame those possible athletes who were too lazy to help the track team last year.

Two changes in the coaching system for the coming season will aid in the development of the team. Coach Donovan has been given entire charge of all events including both the track and field events. The appointment of one man responsible for the team as a whole will tend to aid greatly in the moulding of the squad into a scoring unit. Besides Mr. Clark a new coach, Dr. Morrill, will work with the field event men this fall. Dr. Morrill comes to Harvard from Bowdoin where he has been particularly successful in producing point-winners from green material. With the present system of improved coaching it seems only right to expect a large number of candidates. On the contrary there are actually two-thirds of the number that reported last fall. The men who consider it merely necessary to report for practice in the spring are the very ones who ought to be working now. Four weeks of regular practice this fall for such men will be no unbearable hardship, and may result in one of them winning the necessary point which will bring victory to the team in the spring.