GREATEST HONOR TO SUCKLEY

The death of Henry E. Suckley '10 brought to a close a brief but brilliant career. In his two years of service Suckley performed such splendid deeds of bravery that he was given the Croix de Guerre and mentioned many times in the official reports for exceptional work at the front. His record at the head of the unit; which he formed himself, so attracted the attention of his officers that General Sarrail has recently proposed his name for the Legion of Honor. It is men like Suckley and his gallant companions who have upheld this country's reputation abroad since the beginning of the war. At a time when the Allies have misunderstood the United States, to our disadvantage, these college men have been winning respect and admiration for their country by their exceptional bravery. They have demonstrated that we are not a craven race that clings to life and luxury above all else, but that we possess noble sentiments and are capable of similar actions.

The New York Tribune expresses Harvard's sentiment exceedingly well in the following lines:

"Suckley was one of the many young Americans who have responded to a call that was wider than frontiers and broader than nationality. A Harvard man, he had not read in vain these lines on Soldiers Field:

'Tho' love repine, and reason chafe, There came a voice without reply--

'Tis man's perdition to be safe When for the truth he ought to die.'"