Oral Roberts Beats Crimson Cagers, 100-99

Adams Whips Foes In Swimming Meet

By Raymond A. Urban

Adams House flexed its previously unheard-of athletic muscle to sweep past all opposition in compiling a perfect 10-0 record in interhouse swimming. Winthrop, Eliot and Quincy followed with 9-1, 8-2, and 7-3 records, respectively.

Adams had little difficulty in defeating second-place Winthrop, 45-23, in the third round of the House swimming meets, but faced a beefed up Eliot squad in the final round of meets last Thursday evening. Eliot led the meet off with a very fast 200-yard medley relay, their time of 1:52.9 being faster than many small college teams.

Still Close

The meet remained close and went down to the decisive 200-yard freestyle relay. Adams won the relay by over a body length to defeat Eliot, 36-32, and remain undefeated, thereby earning the right to meet the top Yale College swim team on March 11.

Former Stanford swimmer Jeff Strnad and Lon McCroskey led the Adams team. Strnad earned fastest times in both the 50-yard backstroke (28.4) and the 100-yard freestyle (53.6), with McCroskey leading the 50 butterfliers in 26.9 in addition to having the second-fastest 100 freestyle and third-fastest 50 freestyle times.

Fast Enough

Adams's other swimmers were fast enough to provide the necessary depth in all individual events and to come up with strong relays.

Other top individual performances were turned in by John Carpenter of Kirkland and Peter Kellogg of Winthrop. Carpenter swam the fastest 50 freestyle (23.6) and shared top honors in the 50-yard breaststroke with Kellogg and Eliot's Bill Mootz in 30.9. Kellogg's 100-yard individual medley time of 1:00.4 was one of the outstanding performances of the five-meet series, beating the second-best time by almost four seconds.