PRECAUTIONS TAKEN BY "CHICAGO" IN WAR ZONE

Letter from Bridgman Describes Voyage of Ship Carrying Ambulance Volunteers.

A letter received from H. Bridgman '19, former secretary of the CRIMSON and now in the American Ambulance Field Service in France, describes the precautionary measures taken by the steamer Chicago against the submarines. The Chicago, a French Line steamer, sailed from New York for France on February 19 with 31 members of the University who had enlisted in the Ambulance Service. On February 28, the Chicago entered the danger zone and from then until March 3, when she arrived at Bordeaux, the ship was open to attack by submarines.

Bridgman writes: "It would be hard to see this ship at night even from two or three boat's length distance. Tight wooden discs keep any light from percolating through the port holes. They have been there ever since we left New York, and we are (February 27) emphatically forbidden to remove the covers. There isn't much extra air at night.

"As further guard against lights coming out the cracks of the steel covers that are placed every night outside the larger windows of the writing and reading rooms and the eating hall, there is a great ribbon of canvas stretched almost the whole length of the promenade deck on both sides of the ship, protecting us from wind and rain, but preventing an easy view out over the ocean. The only light visible comes from dimred and green side-lights on the bridge and a weak lamp at the masthead.

"Daytime protection consists in the gray and black painting of the ship. The funnels should be all gray; but at the top they carry a broad band of black.

"On several occasions during the voyage, lifeboat drills were held, but no submarines were sighted. Twice there were rumors of mines, but the first proved to be a barrel, and the second was a dead horse. A round black thing was passed (March 1) late in the afternoon but at such a distance that all you could do was see that something was there.

"Early (March 1) we passed the Rochambeau, bound for New York, out of Bordeaux. That ship got by, and when we got on deck a couple of minutes before lunch there was an armed trawler about two miles off. That was the only sort of convoy we have seen to date and we should dock in less than two days.

"Soon after noon (March 2) the captain ordered us to get our lifebelts ready and get all our valuables on our persons, which we did. It sounded interesting, but nothing happened. Before dinner, however, the ship suddenly made a wide turn to the north, turning a complete quarter-circle.

"We expect to get in at the mouth of the river early tomorrow morning. No one agrees as to the time, and as every member of the crew talks French exclusively it is difficult, or indeed almost impossible, to acquire more than a hazy idea of what the facts are."