SEVEN CREWS URGE NEW TRYOUT SITE

Bingham Concurs in View of Six Other Colleges--Considers Schuylkill is an Unfair Course

W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, last night confirmed the statement that Harvard and the six other eastern colleges which sponsor crew are in favor of transferring the American Olympic rowing tryouts from the Schuylkill river, Philadelphia, where they have been held the past two times, to Lake Quinsigamond, Worcester.

The chief reasons for abandoning the Schuylkill course are that it is too narrow, shallow, and has a bend in it, as well as being in general inferior to several other possible choices. On the other hand Lake Quinsigamond is not only a naturally straight course, but also possesses still water which should duplicate the conditions which will be found next year at the Los Angeles course.

Lake Quinsigamond, moreover, has an additional glamour for supporters of the Crimson and Blue as the site of the first Harvard-Yale crew race.

"In view of the fact that the Schuylkill is with few exceptions considered as an unfair course, it would seem," said Mr. Bingham, who is himself a member of two Olympic committees, "that even if the rowing committee does report favorably on the Philadelphia course, still the actual American Olympic committee itself would overlook their recommendation." No exact dates for the meetings of these committees have yet been set. However, the major group has the final say.