Thousands Lost

THE PRESS

Local retailers do not appear to be conscious of this disastrous condition, which undoubtedly is keeping thousands of dollars from their cash drawers, for there is apparently no movement on foot to encourage better dress.

The three-button suit is still the popular type of garment and light grays and tans with herringbone stripes that were probably bought two years ago are still being worn. The only new trend in dress is the derby hat and only a few of these are worn on the campus.

There is practically no demand for oxford grays. Broad-toed, plain tip brown shoes that haven't been decorated with a coat of polish in weeks, are favored for daily footwear, and alternate with the heavy black oxford for evening wear. This plain heavy walking shoe was even noted in large numbers at the intercollegiate dances on Saturday evening.

Dress monstrosities such as dark trousers with lighter jackets or patent leather oxfords with tweed suits have been frequently noted. The only distinctive thing about Harvard is the number of green cloth sacks in which students carry their books and most of these are so full of holes that book corners protrude.

The Daily News-Record, Chicago.