Wellesley, Radcliffe Views Split on Possible Shift in House Hour Rules

Prospective change in College parietal rules was viewed with sharp divergency by top Radcliffe and Wellesley student officials last night. A proposal to expand current 1 to 7 o'clock visiting hours to allow students to entertain in their rooms during the evening, forwarded in a CRIMSON editorial last Monday, evoked opposing reactions at the colleges.

While student government officials at Wellesley believe that any change in Harvard policy would not effect rules at Wellesley, two officers of the Radcliffe Student Government Association that the Annext might establish restrictions based on their rules for chaperonage in mens' apartments.

Susanne Ehrethell '48, president of the 'Cliffe Student Government, stated that if House hours were pushed up from the usual time of 7 o'clock, Radcliffe might formulate a set of rules for College Houses based on Articles VI of the Rules for the Halls of Residence, which ordinarily requires a chaperon to accompany a student to a man's residence. No chaperonage in the Houses is required under the present visiting hours.

Wellesley Has Faith

President of Wellesley Student Government Nancy Bartram '48 said that she had great faith that girls would conduct themselves "wisely, and in a manner befitting a Wellesley student." Adding that the matter would probably be left entirely to the discretion of each individual, she expressed the belief that according to Wellesley's present policy, no special rules would result from any change in the University parietal rules.