BREVITIES.

THERE are sixteen men training for the Freshman crew.

THERE will be no classical lectures for the Freshmen this year.

MR. J. E. COWDIN, '79, has begun strict training for the Holyoke six.

A FOUR-OARED crew from the Holyoke club was seen on the river Wednesday.

THE University Nine made its first appearance on the field Wednesday afternoon.

IT has been proposed by some members of the Faculty to have an elective in Chinese this year.

A REDUCTION of the membership fee for joining the boat-clubs has been made. $ 6.50 is the price of a ticket.

PEWTER beer-mugs with glass bottoms are the prizes offered by the H. A. A. There will be no second prizes.

THOSE who wish to see "the best Freshman crew Harvard ever had" have only to visit the boat-house any afternoon.

THOSE knowing the addresses of men who have left the class of '78 will confer a great favor on the Class Committee by sending them their addreses.

THE Senior Class Committee request that all '78 men who have not yet had their photographs taken would attend to the matter immediately.

MR. A. B. WEIMER, and not Mr. A. B. Miner, as published in the last Advocate, is the Vice-President of the Everett Athenaeum.

THE officers for the Gymnasium meeting are: Marshal, Mr. W. Twombly, '79; Stewards, Messrs. H. G. Otis, '78, George Meyer, '79, William Hooper, '80.

AN elective in German literature will be given next year by Professor Bartlett. The course will begin with Lessing (1750), and embrace the German classic writers to the present day.

AT the last regular meeting of the Art Club the following gentlemen were elected: President, W. Bates, '79; Treasurer, F. Rindge, '79; Secretary, C. D. March, '80; Custos, W. Blodgett, '80.

AN error was made in the printing of an article on "Bicycling" in the last Crimson. Page 3, line 23, from top of second column, read Spring Field Meeting for Spring field Meeting.

THE first nine of the Hasty Pudding Club from '79 are: Messrs. J. A. Wright, C. F. Sprague, W. Sheafe, Jr., O. H. Williams, Jr., D. Urquhart, J. T. Bowen, I. T. Burr, J. T. Coolidge, 3d, W. G. Twombley.

THE members of the Rifle Club talk of distinguishing themselves in the spring, not by especially good shooting, but by the adoption of a ribbon to wear on their hats. Doubtless they will shoot the hat before they have had it long.

IT has been suggested that a prize be offered by the Athletic Association in the field meeting for the most stylish walking. "Real college" men ought not to lose this opportunity of exhibiting the latest approved Beacon Street swing.

THERE seems to have been some misunderstanding at the University Bookstore about delivering the Crimson. Subscribers for the second half-year, whether they have paid their subscriptions or not, are entitled to the first number of the present volume.

THE judges in the contests will be as follows: Sparring, Messrs. St. John Smith, '73, and F. Cunningham, '74; Wrestling, F. W. Thayer, '78, W. Twombley, '79, W. Hooper, '80; Fencing, Mr. W. Homer, '67; Vaulting, Jumping, Horizontal Bars and Indian Clubs, Messrs. Latham, '77, and Danforth, '77.

MR. KESSLER, '78, who won in 1876 the prize for middle-weight wrestling, and in 1877 the prize for heavy-weight wrestling, will not enter any of the contests at the Gymnasium this year. The entries for wrestling have, thus far, been very few, and more names are needed to make this interesting feature of the meeting a success.

THE following are the battalion officers of the Harvard Rifle-Corps for the second half-year: President, H. C. Mulligan, '79; Secretary, C. A. Hobbs, '80; Treasurer, J Quincy, Jr., '80; Major, C. W. Bradley. '80; Adjutant, T. H. Simmons, '80; Quartermaster, C. H. W. Foster, '81; Sergeant Major, Jared S. How, '81; Quartermaster Sergeant, J. M. Gibbons, '81, Companies A and B will elect company officers at their next regular meetings.

THE University eight appeared on the river last Monday for the first time after their housing during the winter months, - a day earlier than they did last year. The men that pulled were: Crocker, Brigham, Littaner, Jacobs, Stow, Schwartz, Smith, stroke Bancroft, and coxswain Allen; and, considering that it is the first time for three months that they have had oars in their hands, they pulled remarkably well. The boat first went down the river, then turned and passed the boat-house, and was greeted by a "three times three" from the crowd which had come down to see them. A very pleasant little attention to the men who had been working so diligently all winter.

Since Monday the second eight has been out, and the Freshman also in detachments of two in a pair-oar; Mr. Goddard acting as coxswain and coach.

THE Rev. Arthur C. A. Hall, of the Church of the Advent, will deliver a course of lectures on the Early Christian Church, before the S. Paul's Society, Wednesday evenings during Lent. The first lecture will be given Wednesday next, March 13, at 7 P.M. All are invited to be present. The subjects of the lectures are: 1. The Preparation for the Christian Church. 2. The Apostolic Age. 3. The Martyrs. 4. The Apologists. 5. The Councils.

THE notice on the Bulletin Board, "Members of the Holyoke club are please requested to meet, etc." brought together men who are interested in boating to the number of three. One of these resigned his office; and another could be induced to retain his only by the most urgent appeals of the assembled multitude. (No nominations were made to fill the vacancy caused by the gentleman who resigned.) The third gentleman was a member of another club, and merely came to look on. Little business having been done, the meeting adjourned at an early hour.

PROFESSOR NORTON, on Tuesday last, gave the first of a series of twelve readings, in English, from the Divine Comedy, which are to be given in the Hawthorne rooms, Park Street, Boston, at 12 M., on successive Tuesdays and Saturdays. The object of these readings is to give a connected view of the Divine Comedy. Books for subscribers' names may be found at A. Williams & Co., Little, Brown, & Co., and Doll and Richards'. The course of readings from the Odyssey, to be given by Professor Palmer, is postponed, owing to his absence.