THE SCRATCH RACES.

THE races of last Saturday were more successful than is usually the case on such occasions. Thanks to the gentlemen who had them in charge, they came off promptly, although a short time was taken in improvising an anchor; but as a gentleman who saw the need generously offered to supply it by the gift of a new anchor, we may fear no delay from that cause again.

The first race for single sculls had the following entries: Stone, '74, Kidner, '75, Weld, '76, Wheelwright, '76, Tappan, '76. Mr. Tappan had some difficulty in keeping his centre of gravity within the sides of the shell, and unfortunately upset. What would have been the result of the race had this accident not occurred it is not possible to conjecture.

Stone took the lead at the start, closely followed by Weld. He lost somewhat at the bend, but made it up in turning the stake. From this point to the winning stake he gained steadily on Weld, and crossed the line some half-dozen lengths ahead. The winner deserves great credit, both for the good rowing he showed and the pluck he exhibited in entering a race against a man whose previous record as a single sculler has been so good.

Two boats entered for the double-scull race, one manned by Wetmore and Appleton, '75, the other by Bacon and Weld, '76. The first boat drew the inside and took the lead, which it continued to hold to the end of the race, winning by about twenty-seven seconds.

The last race was for six oars. Two barge were used, the first with the following crew, Wheeler, '74, str., Bacon, '76, Silsbee, '74, Sanger, '74, Burry, '74, Riggs, '76, Swift, '74, cox. The second crew were Wetmore, '75, str., Appleton '75, Goodrich, '74, Harding, '74, Weld, '76, Prince, '75, Devens, '74, cox. This race was quite exciting. Wheeler's boat drew the inside, but Wetmore gave such a telling stroke as to keep a slight lead up to the boat-house; but in rounding the curve his crew lost, enabling Wheeler's crew to turn the stake first. Despite a tendency to exchange oars at the stake, the boats were impeded but a moment, and came down the course in good style. Wheeler's boat maintained its advantage, although closely pressed by its rival, up to the finish.

These races have taken place so early in the autumn, - there being at least six more rowing weeks before cold weather sets in, - that, apparently, there can be no objection to some more sport of the same kind before the season closes.