THE OTHER SIDE.

I NOTICED in the last Magenta an article commending the practice of roughing (I must accept the word in its new sense), and pointing out the great advantages to be derived therefrom. It seems to me that this ungentlemanly custom has obtained far too great a foothold in college. In some circles a man's actions, good or bad, his words, and even his dress, are the objects of sharp ridicule and thoughtless jest, which often scarce conceal the bad feeling beneath. A number of men move in a fixed groove, and any one who chooses to pursue his course without that groove becomes the object of unmerciful badgering from his more conventional companions. They do not stop to ask whether their friend's conduct is not worthy rather of imitation and praise than of roughing; it is enough that he talks as they do not talk, or does things to them not "correct," or that his coat is of a different color and cut. If the application of the reforming influence could be restrained to cases needing just this mode of treatment, it would be well; but is this censorship of witty students always discriminating in the objects of its attack? It is the peculiarity in a man most open to laughable roughing, not the one most deserving it, that receives the greatest share of this kind of criticism. It has come to such a pass that a timid and sensitive man may well be restrained from an action, perfectly good and praiseworthy in itself, but still a little out of the usual run, from fear of the consequent roughing. At any rate, he is obliged to consider beforehand "what the fellows will say about it." Thus independence is placed at a discount, and we are too much tempted to do only what will please. Roughing a man on his personal and long-established habits never goes far towards removing them. It is only disagreeable and offensive to him. "A. C." mentions a loafer made studious and an absent-minded man reformed by this "system." I very much doubt the existence of such cases.

"A. C." thinks the power of repartee and quick parry to be gained from his "system" will be of great use to us in public assemblies, when we are older. This is the lowest kind of debate, and has always been most indulged in by the most vulgar politicians. "A. C." would probably extol the ready wit of a celebrated demagogue on a certain trying occasion. One night, during a political campaign, he was addressing a disorderly crowd in a New York square, and, being unpopular with many of his hearers, he was frequently assailed by flying fruit and vegetables; stretching forth his hand, he caught an apple thus thrown, and, taking his knife from his pocket, proceeded with the utmost coolness to pare and eat it. Certainly an admirable repartee! But we can learn this style of oratory in the city streets among the hackmen and newsboys much better than at our great University.

E. B. H.