College Photography.

IN every new discovery, whether of science or mechanics, the first query is, "To what can this be applied?" and forthwith keen-sighted men are found straining their vision over the broad field of future possibilities, and those who widen the range of its application often outrank the original discoverer of the art itself.

Daguerre did a wonderful thing in his day, but gave way to the sun-printing process, which has become an indispensable helpmeet to art, literature, mechanics, justice, and nearly every department of society. And now every college of any note must have its photographer, and one of supremest skill. For some time Warren of Boston and Notman of Montreal held their sway, both men of superior talent. The latter did his work on British territory, and for some time avoided the impost duty, but was finally compelled to open a branch on this side of the line. It is not a little remarkable to note the rapid strides made by Mr. G. W. Pach since he made a specialty of college work. In 1875 he took the West Point Academy; in 1877, Vassar College. In 1878, Yale College, after an exciting canvass, wheeled into line, but unanimously re-elected him the following year. The same year ('78) Harvard and Columbia chose him enthusiastically, and were immediately followed by Princeton, Dartmouth, Williams, and Wesleyan. He has now no less than 120,000 pictures under contract, and, beginning with West Point in 1875, he has been retained on the superior merit of his work by every college, embracing, at present, Vassar, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Dartmouth, Williams, and Wesleyan. Truly a remarkable record for a young man who began his career, fifteen years ago, over a stable at Long Branch, and plodded along, fighting poverty and many drawbacks, until he is acknowledged, especially in out-door and college art, the leading photographer of the country. His brothers are associated with him, and they have permanent galleries in various localities. Mr. Bennett has engaged him for the photographing on the great Polar Sea Expedition, and the Messrs. Harper and Brothers accord him a similar rank to Thomas Nast in his department of art. When foreign celebrities are to be taken, Mr. Pach is usually called upon, even by other photographers, at least to secure the negatives, - an unmistakable compliment to his skill.

'65.