MUSIC AT HARVARD.

HOWEVER high a stand Harvard may take in other matters, her position as regards music is not one that does her any credit. True, from the Catalogue we learn that she has a musical professorship and some five courses in music that are pretty well attended. Placards posted from time to time in the Yard, and brief accounts in the Advocate, inform us that a series of concerts is being given at the Sanders Theatre. The College herself has done her share; it is we who are to blame, and justly so, for Harvard's reputation as a college that takes little interest in music.

Of course there are some good songs sung in the College societies, and we occasionally hear spasmodic attempts at part-singing in the Yard. No later than last Saturday night, it was our good fortune to hear "Johnny Morgan" sung by a capital tenor voice and a very gruff bass. I am given to understand, however, that such performances are not always occasioned by a love of music. The attention that we devote to sacred music is too well known to need any comment.

It is perfectly true that we have a Glee Club at college ; any one can verify this statement for himself by turning to the Index, where he will find a long list of tenors and basses, and a longer one of associate members. One can be readily pardoned, however, for ignorance of its existence. Though it presents so flourishing an aspect on paper, its existence is but little more than nominal. During the middle of last term it gave some signs of vitality, but the exertion of its one concert seemed too much for it. We learn that it was often difficult to get even a quartette together, and that second tenors often had to take the place of first. If we are not misinformed, the club is in no better condition at present.

It is not pleasant to compare ourselves in this matter with Yale and Amherst, where music forms so enjoyable a part of the college life. At Amherst, besides a college Glee Club worthy of the name, there are a number of smaller organizations that serve as training-schools for it. What would the members of our Glee Club think of two rehearsals a day for a week before a concert, as is customary at Yale ?

This piece is written, not for the purpose of fault-finding, but with the earnest hope that a little more energy will be shown in musical circles in college. It is not from a lack of musical talent in Harvard students that we have no more nor better music here, nor again from a lack of first tenor voices. It is energy that is lacking.