SPORTING COLUMN.

IN the Spirit of November 19 appears an article headed "Collegiate Amateurs," which conclusively proves that the records of 10 sec. for 100-yards, and 50 1/4 sec. for the 1/4-mile claimed to have been made at the Spring Meeting of the St. Lawrence University of Canton, N. Y., on May 29 last, were made by a professional, named Fitzgibbons, who it appears is, or at that time was, a member of the University. As there was some doubt expressed at the time in regard to the records, we did not see fit to allow them as the best college records, and these recent developments have shown that our action was right. A rule preventing professionals from competing in college athletic sports has never been deemed necessary, but the action of the college base ball league last year in regard to Richmond, the Brown pitcher, showed pretty conclusively the feeling of the college world on that subject. Among the matches run by this Fitzgibbons, the Spirit's correspondent mentions a race run in May, 1879, with Witherbee, '81, who made such a good showing at our last Spring Meeting; and if the race were for a prize, which is the natural inference, it follows that Witherbee was a professional runner when he came to Harvard. This is the first intimation that has reached Cambridge in regard to this matter; and, of course, Mr. Witherbee will not be allowed, in the future, to compete in any graduate or open races of the Harvard Athletic Association, without first proving satisfactorily his amateur standing.

Mr. "John E. Scoville, of Sweet's Corners, Massachusetts," whose offer to run 100 yards in 10 sec. or better; or 220 yards in 23 sec. or better, for a $25.00 cup, he to present the donor of the cup with $25.00 in event of his failure to accomplish the feat, excited so much interest about a month ago, has turned out to be a "myth." The offer was accepted by the Manhattan Athletic Club, who sent a letter, agreeing to "Mr. Scoville's" terms in every particular, except that they offered to pay all his expenses to New York, whether he succeeded in the attempt or not; and stipulated that he need not present them with the $25 00 offered in case of failure. This letter met with no response, and the post-master at Sweet's Corners, Massachusetts, writes to the Clipper of November 19, that no such a person as Scoville lives, or ever has lived, at that place. The Spirit of November 26 gives Scoville the choice of the following three names as applied to himself, - a myth, a fool, or a swindler.

The following communication, addressed to the President of the Yale Athletic Association, explains itself. It is greatly to be hoped that the answer will be satisfactory, and that the custom of annual athletic sports, which for so many years have been successful in England, between Oxford and Cambridge, may also be instituted between the two leading colleges of America. This is not intended to do away with the sending of representatives to Mott Haven, as both colleges will probably be represented there, whether this project is successfully carried through or not. Appended is the letter : -

CAMBRIDGE, Dec. 7, 1881.To the President of the Yale Athletic Association : -

DEAR SIR, - The Harvard Athletic Association, feeling that an annual series of track athletic contests between Yale and Harvard would be of great advantage to the athletic interests of both colleges, hereby expresses its willingness to send two representatives to meet two representatives from Yale, both delegations to have full power to make final arrangements in regard to the same; and would suggest Springfield as a desirable place for the conference, the date to be decided upon hereafter as convenient to the representatives of both colleges.

Very truly yours,

EVERT JANSEN WENDELL,President H. A. A.HARRY R. WOODWARD, Secretary H. A. A.