LET THERE BE LIGHT.

POOR "Lampy" has gone out, and all this year we have been in darkness, with the exception of a few rays of light from the College press. But at last the Bursar has come to the rescue and made another "extensive improvement." Lamps have been placed on nearly all the College buildings. What a blessing, and at the same time a curse. Henceforth the College will be one blaze of light. No more gas will be consumed in our rooms: the light from outside will be sufficient. Does the Bursar consider that in this way our enormous gas bills will be done away with, and this burden placed on his shoulders? It cannot be. How pleasant, after enjoying life in Boston under the cover of darkness, to return to Cambridge and find the Yard as light as day, which will obviate our difficulty in finding the walks and the key-holes of our doors. Another great gain will be in changing the hour of recitations, for they can be held as well at midnight as mid-day.

One can then come out from hearing Gerster in the "uproar" and go right into Music II., or from Henry Cinque or Henri Five and recite in English II., or from the ballet into French III.

Nothing can effect so great a revolution as this last improvement. Harvard can now outrival the German universities. More time can be found for original work. The Juniors can be enabled by this improvement to petition for sixteen hours a week instead of twelve, and that the requisitions for a degree be raised. Or better still, let the Harvard(?) Annex, who have already crowded us in one or two electives, have their recitations in the College buildings from six in the evening until six in the morning.

But conversely. As none of us have ever passed our summer vacations at the North Pole, shall we enjoy having days twenty-four hours long and no nights? Our morning naps will be impossible;

and, as it never grows dark, one being absorbed in his studies will forget that the hour for dining is approaching, and will study on and on unless interrupted, so the effect would be most disastrous. Harvard will soon become one vast lunatic asylum. Egyptian darkness will be blessed with as great earnestness as Pharoah cursed it. College men have always shown a great aversion to lamp-posts, particularly those on the bridge, and make light of putting out the glass lights when the gas lights have been put out; but, on the other hand, have shown a great love for "Lampy," whose bright light is far more brilliant even than Edison's Electric Light. Therefore let us earnestly seek for the return of "Lampy" and then the lamps on the College buildings will only serve as ornaments, and targets for the Rifle Club.