SPORTING COLUMN.

YALE held her Fall Regatta October 2. The first event was a barge race between '80, '81, and '82; '80 won, with '81 second. Another barge race followed between a picked Dunham Six and '83. The Freshmen pulled well and steadily the whole distance, winning easily by five lengths.

THE Freshman Eleven played their first game of the season, against Phillips Exeter Academy, October 18. Exeter won the toss, and Hooker kicked off well; Cabot soon got the ball, and the Freshmen kept it for some time in close proximity to Exeter's goal; the home team, however, by fine rushing and passing, after a hard struggle, succeeded in getting a touch-down, the ball having struck a tree and bounded back into an Exeter man's hands; time was then called.

In the next three-quarters the Freshmen were outplayed at every point, and Exeter obtained two touch-downs and one goal from the field; thus leaving the game, Exeter, one goal and three touch-downs, '83, nothing. The Freshmen played an exceedingly poor game throughout, Lee's fine rushes being the only redeeming features of their playing. We hope they will take this game as a warning, and practise daily, especially in passing, as in their present form they can never hope to defeat Yale, '83, this fall.

NOTHING of interest has happened lately in Athletic circles. Every one has read of, and been disgusted with, the Hanlan-Courtney fiasco. Ross added one more defeat to his already long list, being easily defeated by Riley, in a race rowed on the Thames, October 21. Merrill and Duffy carried off the prizes in the three-mile walk and one-mile run, at the Amateur Championship of Canada Meeting, October 4.