SPORTING COLUMN.

IT is with pleasure that we chronicle the recent formation of a new athletic organization at Brookline, Mass., under the name of the Brookline Athletic Club, which promises to prove a most welcome addition to the lamentably small number of desirable athletic clubs in this vicinity. The club is now laying a 6th of a mile cinder track on the Brookline Play-ground, which will probably be completed in time to admit of a field meeting this fall, which, it is possible, may be open to all amateurs. The officers are as follows: President, N. H. Hammond; Vice-President, M. P. Spaulding; Treasurer, A. S. Arthur; Secretary, Harry G. Cushman; Directors, Alan G. Mason, G. B. Clarke, F. L. Creesy, William W. O'Connell, H. W. Carnes, H. E. Smith, and F. H. Thompson. We notice the names of Messrs. Creesy and Thompson of the H. A. A. among this list, and several well-known local Boston athletes are also among the number. We wish this new organization all possible success.

Later. - Since writing the above, word has been received that the Brookline Athletic Club propose holding a fall meeting at their grounds on November 6 next, with the following events open to all amateurs:

1. 100 Yards' Dash.

2. 1/4-Mile Run.

3. 1/2-Mile Run.

4. I-Mile Run.

5. 3-Mile Run.

6. Throwing the Hammer.

7. Hop, Step, and Jump.

8. Running Broad Jump.

9. Putting the Shot.

10. 2-Mile Walk (handicap).

In addition to the above there will be a 1/4-mile run, I-mile walk, and 3-legged race, open to Club members only. Gold medals will be given to first, and silver to second, in each event. The entrance fee is $1.00 for each event, and the right to reject any entry is reserved. Entries close Oct. 30, 1880, and may be sent to

H. G. CUSHMAN,

Secretary Brookline Athletic Club, BROOKLINE, MASS.

N.B. - The editor of this column will be most happy to forward any entries which may be handed to him before Oct. 30, and it is to be hoped that a large delegation of athletes will represent the College on this occasion. There is plenty of time for training, and this is a most excellent opportunity for those of our athletes who were disappointed in not having a meeting on Jarvis this fall, to keep in practice.

George Wright's Benefit Athletic Entertainment, which was to have taken place at Beacon Park on Tuesday last, has been postponed until to-morrow (Saturday), on account of Tuesday's inclement weather. The 'Varsity Nine will play a match with the Beacons, beginning at 3 o'clock, P. M., and at 3.30 o'clock P.M. there are to be running and walking races, in which Messrs. Herrick and Wendell, of the H. A. A., will probably compete. A number of Harvard men also are entered in the Tennis Tournament, and the afternoon's sport will probably prove very entertaining. Mr. Wright deserves the heartiest support of the College men for the careful manner in which he fulfilled his duties as coach of our last year's cricket team, and we hope that the number of College representatives to-morrow at Beacon Park will prove to him that his efforts are not unappreciated.

TO THE WINNERS IN THE ATHLETIC MEETING LAST SPRING.

We are authorized by Messrs. Shreve, Crump, & Low, to state that if the medals which were given as prizes at the H. A. A.'s spring meeting last May, are brought into their establishment on Washington Street, they will be suitably engraved, free of charge. This is inserted in response to various inquiries made in regard to the same.

In our last issue one or two printer's errors remain to be corrected. The name of the winner in the Individual Tug of War should have been Ineckbemer instead of Inckberner; and Montz, who is returned as winning the Hurdle Race, should have been Moritz.

The Bicycle Club rode to Belmont by moonlight last Wednesday. There will be another moonlight ride to Malden next Tuesday evening, where the Middlesex B. C. will hold a large meet.