THE ATHLETIC WORLD.

Sporting Events During the Past Week.

The grounds of the Troy League Club at Lansingburg have been sold for building purposes, and the club is now looking for a new location.

H. Hutchens of England offers any man in the world four yards start in a race of 150 yards, for from $1000 to $2500 a side. Hutchens is coming to America.

Mr. Bair began to trot Maud S. on the 1st of January. She is in splendid condition, and Mr. Bair confidently believes that she will trot in 2.09 during the campaign of 1882.

Walking matches are reaching the confines of civilization. The latest reported are from Gunnison, at the foot of the Elk mountains, and Geelong, Australasia. New Yorkers participated in each race, Edwards in Australasia and Kelly in the Rocky mountains.

Hanlan wishes to row with Ross on the 20th of June, and Trickett on the 1st of August.

John Ennis, the pedestrian, lost $2,500 on his last walking match, and had to mortgage his property to pay the prizes he had offered.

There will be about a dozen competitors in the Rowell walking match. It will take place early in March.

Joseph Massey, feather weight, challenges any man in the country to wrestle, at 116 pounds, for from $200 to $500 a side.

Sexton and Schaefer will play a match game of billiards at Tammany Hall, April 27. The match is for $2,500 a side.

It is probable that the Athletic Base Ball Club will open the season with Princeton.

The Metropolitans think of applying for membership in the American Association.

It is said that Harry Wright is already beginning to have trouble with the Providence nine, on account of their back debts.

The Metropolitans are negotiating for a well known college club pitcher.

Plaisted offers to row Elliot, the ex-champion of England, a three mile race, with a turn, not later than May 31, for $500 or $1000 a side. Not being satisfied with his defeat by Trickett at St. Louis, he wishes the latter to put up $500 or $1000 and make a sweepstakes of $1,500 or $3000.

Edward Hanlan, the champion oarsman of the world, sailed Saturday for England in the steamer City of Chester. No one accompanied him. Mr. W. J. Innis, his backer in England, has made everything satisfactory for the race with Robert Watson Boyd, the English champion, in April. The race is to be for $1000 a side, from the Mansion House to Scotswood suspension bridge on the Tyne.

The English cricket club, at present playing in Australia, of whom Shaw is captain, will visit this country next fall.