LADY STUDENTS AT CAMBRIDGE.

An English correspondent writes: "It may be of interest to your readers to know something of the life that is led by the students at Girton. The plan is to have all the meals in the dining hall; breakfast is supplied there from 8 to 9, lunch from 12 to 3, and dinner, which is, of course, a general meal, at 6. Tea is sent to the students' own rooms; about 4 o'clock the cheerful rattling of teacups is heard in the corridors, and announces the arrival of the servants with a large trayful of cups. These trays are taken round to all the students' rooms, and also to the lecture-rooms, where the combination of tea and study forms a peculiar feature of Girton lectures. Four o'clock is an important hour at Girton, and one that is not willingly missed by students. Those who are absent from their rooms for a short time generally leave a notice on their doors asking for a cup of tea; and another notice that may frequently be observed when walking along the corridors is, "please see to my fire." "Engaged" is also put up by busy students who are anxious not to be disturbed. The morning hours are, of course, the best working hours; from 9 to 1 o'clock is the usual working time, 1 o'clock being the favorite hour for lunch. Nearly all the lectures at Girton are given in the afternoon, and the hours between 2 and 6 o'clock are generally divided between lectures and tennis or walks. But most students have some completely free afternoons which they can devote to expeditions into Cambridge or long country walks. Lectures in Cambridge are given in the morning, and to these, natural science and history students go. Most mathematical and classical lectures are given at Girton. Nine o'clock in the evening is the time which public opinion fixes as the right moment to leave off work. Of course this is not always possible, but as a rule it is the sociable hour and the time for tea parties. Trays with materials for tea, coffee, or cocoa are sent round to the rooms; and as every one has a kettle of her own, tea can be made at any time, and this is generally a social meal, which two or three friends partake of together, enjoying the luxury of leisure after work. Once a week a practice is held by members of the choral society, who usually give a concert at the end of the term, to which friends are invited. There is also a debating society, and an institution peculiar to Girton, a ladies' fire brigade, "womanned" by the students, in Cambridge parlance.