ASSIGNMENT OF ROOMS.

Before the introduction of the present system of assigning rooms by lot a very curious method existed - or one which seems curious in view of the present system. The rooms were assigned by classes, freshmen having ground floor rooms in all buildings except Holworthy, the whole of which was reserved for seniors, with the exception of those rooms directly under proctors, which were given to freshmen. All of the freshmen in the different buildings who held the rooms under the proctor, got their rooms free, or for a nominal sum, in consideration of services rendered to the proctors in the way of delivering summonses for those officials, who had charge of the college discipline at this time. Sophomores were banished to the top stories, while seniors and juniors occupied the second and third floors respectively. The prices of rooms at this time, it may be remembered, were much lower than at present, and it may be that the tables of expenses, which now adorn the catalogue, had their origin then. The old system was continued well into the sixties, when it was given up, and, after several changes, the present system was adopted, which is certainly more acceptable and decidedly fairer.