CURRENT LITERATURE.

Professor Lowell is engaged on a Life of Hawthorne.

Browning has a new volume of "Dramatic Idylls" ready.

Professor J. R. Seelye is writing a "Life of the First Napoleon."

A Life of J. Q. Adams, by J. T. Morse, is the first volume of Houghton, Mifflin & Co.'s series of "American Statesmen."

The "Science of Ethics," by Leslie Stephen, and "Macaulay," by Frederic Harrison, are recent English publications.

Good Literature, the weekly periodical of the late American Book Exchange, is now published by a private company under the same editorship.

Leslie Stephen will write the Life of Swift in the English "Men of Letters," Austin Dobson that of Fielding, Professor Colvin of Keats, and Professor Jowett of Jeremy Taylor.

The eighth number of the American Journal of Philology contains an article by Professor C. L. Smith on "Virgil's Instruction for Crops" and one by Professor C. H. Toy on "A in Semitic."

The London Athenoeum states that the international copyright negotiations between England and the United States have been suspended, because President Arthur's views on the subject differ from those held by Garfield. If this is true, it will be a most unfortunate outcome for the hopes entertained by so many in this direction from Minister Lowell's mission.

The enterprise that Mr. Moses King exhibited in publishing the Harvard Register is beginning to show itself in his book publishing business. Besides several little brochures recently issued, Mr. King has just published a book by a Cambridge man, Rev. Franklin Johnson, on "True Womanhood," in excellent style. Mr. King's new and enlarged edition of "Harvard and its Surroundings" cannot be issued for two months yet, owing to the delay in securing new views of the college buildings. Mr. King intends soon to compete with the present Cambridge dealers by opening a stock of books and stationery at his present quarters.

The committee for the Philological Society's dictionary have issued a third list of words (from allodial to apophysal), on which more quotations are desired. From this list it appears that, as far as now known, the word allopath was first used in 1842; alluvial in 1802; Americanism and anecdotal in 1870; anglican in 1827; analogue in 1816; antagonize in 1818; aplomb in 1849; anonymuncale in 1869, and antitheistic in 1881. It is announced that the dictionary will have 8,400 pages in 6 vol. 4 to., and that finally a supplement will appear with the letter Z, containing all words omitted previously.