TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD AND ADVERTISER.

Five men were killed in a tunnel yesterday at Baltimore.

The snow is from six to fifteen feet deep in Halifax, N. S.

Vennor predicts tempestuous weather for the latter part of this week.

The debate on the apportionment bill was resumed in the House yesterday.

Testimony before the grand jury in the Star Route cases was resumed yesterday.

Judge Crosby of the Lowell Police Court gave a reception to the Dartmouth alumni last evening.

Guiteau is in excellent spirits. He expects to do a great business in selling his photographs and autographs.

A bill providing that the department of agriculture shall be an executive department was adopted by the House committee yesterday.

No indictments against persons charged with complicity in the Star Route frauds have as yet been found, but they are looked for daily.

Saturday England and France sent a collective note to the powers, explaining their attitude on the Egyptian question. The note is couched in very amicable terms.

A representative of the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Co. yesterday filed with the recorder of each county through which the road passes a mortgage of $15,000,000.

Charges have been made against the Philadelphia detectives of dividing with thieves. Public sentiment has been awakened against the force, and the mayor has ordered an investigation.

Fire Marshal Sheldon testified at the World building disaster inquest yesterday. He said he thought he should never be able to give a positive opinion in regard to the persons who set it on fire.

Senator Allison, chairman of the Senate committee on appropriations, has received a letter from the president of the Pennsylvania Railroad Co. saying his company has no intention to make a claim for compensation for courtesies extended to the late President and his family or to the government.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., Feb. 14, 1882, 1 A. M. For New England, light rains, followed by clearing weather, winds veering to colder northwesterly, higher pressure.