BASE-BALL.

Yale, 5; Harvard, 1.

If ever a nine deserved to win a game of ball by good playing, the Yale nine deserved to win the game on Saturday. With the single exception of Jones giving two men their bases on called balls, the play of the Yale men was absolutely faultless. Jones' pitching was effective, Hubbard's catching and throwing to bases was perfect, Hopkins and Terry vied with each other in seeing which could put in the best work in the field. The batting was heavy and the base-running sharp. The whole nine played to win and it won. Harvard played a good game, but not a good enough game to beat such a nine as she had to face Saturday. The batting was weak except in the fourth inning when we earned one single run. The fielding was good, although two or three bad errors were made. Allen and Nichols worked well together. In the second inning Allen performed the remarkable feat of striking three men out in succession, pitching but eleven balls the entire innings. Baker's play at short was accurate and brilliant, his error being due to the interference of a base-runner. Lovering and Le Moyne played a beautiful game in the field, each making some phenomenal catches.

Yale made her first run in the first inning after two men were out. Hopkins knocked a high fly to Crocker, who muffed it. Hopkins stole second and came home on two passed balls. No more runs were made till the fourth, when by heavy batting Harvard got in a run. Coolidge hit hard between second and short, and stole second. Baker and Smith went out. Lovering made a clean hit over first base and Nichols followed it up with another over second, bringing in Coolidge and tying the game. The second run for Yale was made in the fifth. Souther hit safe by short, stole second and came home on Griggs' two-base hit to left. In the sixth, after two men were out, Childs reached first on Smith's error, took second on Coolidge's and came home on McKee's hit by short. There was now little doubt as to the result of the game. After this Yale added two more runs to her score. In the seventh Carpenter hit safe to centre, stole second and came home on Hopkins' hit to right. In the next inning Jones hit safe to centre, stole second and third by beautiful base running and came home on Childs' fly-out to LeMoyne.

The game was witnessed by over 2000 people, among whom there were very few supporters of Yale. The umpiring was thoroughly impartial and accurate.

HARVARD.

A.B. R. 1B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Coolidge, 2b. 4 1 1 1 2 1 1

Baker, s s. 4 0 1 1 2 1 1

Smith, 1b. 4 0 0 0 10 0 1

Lovering, r.f. 2 0 1 1 2 0 0

Nichols, c. 2 0 1 1 6 2 0

Allen, p. 3 0 0 0 1 8 1

Crocker, c.f. 3 0 0 0 1 1 2

Beaman, 3b. 3 0 0 0 1 4 1

Le Moyne, 1.f. 3 0 0 0 2 0 0

------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------

28 1 4 4 27 17 7

YALE.

A.B. R. 1B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Hubbard, c. 5 0 1 1 5 5 0

Griggs, s. 5 0 1 2 0 0 0

Hopkins, 3b. 4 1 1 1 3 3 0

Terry, 2b. 4 0 0 0 5 1 0

Jones, p. 4 1 1 1 1 6 2

Childs, 1b. 4 1 0 0 11 0 0

McKee, r.f. 4 0 1 1 1 0 0

Souther, c.f. 4 1 2 2 1 0 0

Carpenter, l.f. 4 1 1 1 0 0 0

38 5 8 9 27 15 2

Time of game - 1 hour 35 minutes. Passed balls - Nichols, 2. Bases on called balls - Harvard, 1; Yale, 0. Struck out - Harvard, 3; Yale, 4. Double play - Crocker and Coolidge, Umpire - Mr. McLean, of Philadelphia.