LACROSSE.

Yale, 2 Goals; Harvard, 1.

Although Yale played a strong game, Harvard's defeat was undoubtedly due to the wretched inefficiency of the umpires and referee furnished by Yale. The following men played for Yale: McDowell, Cottell, Ayers, Lincoln, Connell, McCormick, McHenry, Bertron, Rollins, Mallon, Twombly and Spencer. The Harvard team was the same as in the Princeton game, except that Goodale played in place of Machado, who unfortunately was unable to play. Game was called soon after three o'clock, and the ball was kept near Yale's goal most of the time for half an hour, but owing to the sharpness of Yale's defence no goals were scored. Two or three minutes before the end of the hour Marquand threw a clean goal along the ground midway between the posts. After some minutes hesitation this goal was not allowed by the umpire, who stated that he had not been able to follow the course of the ball. As he was stationed at the posts for that purpose only, his statement was a singular one. Had this goal been allowed, Harvard would certainly have won. Time was called at the end of the hour with nothing scored.

Ten minutes after play was resumed, Twombly of Yale made a fine throw for goal from the side, but the ball passed in front of, and parallel to, the posts. This was decided to be a goal, however, by the same Yale umpire who had made the former decision. Soon another goal was made by a swipe from Spencer. At this point there were only thirteen minutes left for Harvard to tie the game. As soon as the ball was drawn off, Harvard kept control of the ball until Noyes passed the ball to Nichols, who threw a fine goal from forty feet off. Time, two minutes. Strange to say, this goal was counted. Although Harvard played a wonderfully good game for the next ten minutes, no goals were secured, and Yale was declared the winner by a score of two to one. Yale excelled in running and body-checking, Harvard in handling the ball and general team-play. Cottell, McDowell, Spencer and Twombly, did good work, and Noble, Simson. Goodale and Nichols also played well. The Yale team played a very fair game, and did not try to win by delaying the game after they made their goals. Yale played very sharply in following the ball and covering their opponents, but their style of play was poor and resembled shinny more than the scientific game that lacrosse should be made.