No Headline

One more year has been added to the list of partial failures at Memorial ; the steward has given up his place, and again the college is confronted with the old query, whether or not to give it a strong support for the ensuing year. When Mr. Balch gave up his position there was a strong feeling against his management. Many abuses were allowed to exist which could easily have been checked. Some of the food was unpalatable and unfit to eat, and was served in that condition. Consequently complaints were many and grew stronger and more aggressive as the year drew to its end. And it would not be strange if much of this feeling of dissatisfaction should have passed over to this year, and should prejudice many against the hall, especially in view of its many and successive failures. But we think if the matter is given a fair consideration it will be seen that such a prejudice is not founded on reason and is unjust. A new steward has assumed the charge, and one who comes well recommended from two prominent hotels. This could not be unless he had sufficient ability to under-take this position, and further it may be remembered that the failures have always been made under the administration of the former steward. So it is quite possible that under a new man the hall can be properly run.

The hall can be made a success only if many support it, and it will be made a success in the ratio of the number attending. The greater the number of students who eat there the easier will it be to bring about a better state of things, for there are certain necessary expenses which must go on, be the number great or small. It is obvious that if it can be made a success it will be of the greatest value to the college, and, in view of all the facts, we are inclined to think the college ought to try it again, at least for a time, and so do all in its power to make the success of the undertaking more probable.