THE UNION GAMES.

The winter games of the Union Amateur Athletic Club took place last evening, in the Institute Rink, Boston. Several students entered and a large part of the college went in to witness the sport. Harvard met with more than its share of success. Out of over forty entries, five were Harvard men, and three of these won first prizes.

The first event called was the middleweight sparring between Mr. Bangs, L. S. S., and Mr. Gormley. Mr. Bangs has hitherto been known only as a successful wrestler. He was lighter than his opponent but sparred pluckily and well. Gormley won after a close contest.

In the quarter-mile run there were four entries, among them Wendell Baker, '86, and W. R. Parry of the Moseley Harriers, England. After rounding the first corner Baker took the lead and maintained it to the end, winning easily, in spite of the efforts of Louis, who came in a fair second. Baker's time was 56 3-4 sec. Considering the sharp turns and the fact that he was not pressed this was good time.

The running high jump was chiefly a contest between C. H. Atkinson, '85, and M. W. Ford, of the N. Y. A. C. Both have the same record, 5 feet 8 1-2 inches. Twice Atkinson failed at 5 feet 6 1-4 inches, but succeeded the third time. He then jumped 5 feet 7 1-4 inches, at which height Ford failed.

The mile run was a handicap race. Seven men started; three, scratch; one, 75 yards; three, 100 yards. Among those on the scratch was E. H. Thompson, '87. The race was not very exciting. Thompson, who ran steadily, constantly gained on the men who had a start given them, and won the race handsomely in 4 minutes 46 7-8 seconds. Mr. Thompson ought to make a much lower record on a good track with rounded corners and some one to press him.

Mr. D. N. Baxter, '83, was one of the contestants in the heavyweight sparring. His opponent was Doherty, of Boston. The fighting was very close. Baxter, with his lame right hand, did some game work. The judges disagreed and a fourth round was fought. After it the decision was in favor of Doherty. This announcement caused much dissatisfaction among the majority of those present, who called loudly for Baxter. The cause given for the decision was that Baxter did not lead. On the other hand it may be said that whenever he approached his man the latter withdrew from the imaginary ring, choosing his own time for a rush at Baxter.

Of the remaining games; the mile walk was won by Murray, the champion, who showed wonderful ability; Phillips won the high kick, 8 feet 8 1-2 inches; N. Ethier took the light-weight sparring, and the Lynn Association team the tug-of-war for 525 lbs. teams. The Law School tug-of-war team, 600 lbs., found no antagonists and so withdrew before the games came off. Besides the regular contests, Myersran an exhibition heat of three laps.