Excited Vassar.

Yale, Harvard, and the many other colleges of masculine propensities are not the only institutions at which the political excitement of the present year has risen to a feverish height. From recent reports we learn that the staid and studious halls of Vassar have been the scenes of many noisy and turbulent partisan demonstrations. Strange to say, however, the fair politicians have not rallied in support of Belva Lock-wood, as one would most naturally suppose. The college has divided on purely party lines, one contingent arraying itself under the banner of the G. O. P., the other, and smaller, division espousing the cause of the Democracy. As we have said, the Mugwumps, or perhaps better the Mugwumpines, are in a hopeless minority, therefore everything went satisfactorily for the followers of the Man from Maine, until quite recently.

Now it was but natural that the party spirit that reigned rampant at the Poughkeepsie institution should seek to manifest itself in some other way than by mere discussion, and by betting at long odds. A proposal was made by some maidenly member of the Vassar Central Republican Campaign Committee that, on the day before the election, polls should be opened, and a special election of their own should be held; a small election, one petite election pour un sou as it were, but still one that would give the college an opportunity to show the great outside world just where it stood on the momentous question of the day.

Well, the election was held. As had been anticipated, the Republicans polled a vote which gave the Plumed Champion a magnificent majority. But though the Democracy was defeated, it still "claimed everything." Charges were made that three colored chambermaids had been colonized near the polls in the east corridor, and that they had voted as a unit for the Republicans. A Democratic deputy-inspectress, while attempting to arrest a repeatoress, was in turn arrested by a Republican marshallette. Turbulent scenes were for a time in prospect, but the arrival of the supper hour happily averted the threatened collision.

The pent-up enthusiasm of the Republicans now found vent in a mammoth torchlight demonstration. In the evening the column was formed in the upper entry of the main dormitory, and shortly afterwards the line of march was taken up through the principal corridors of the building. Each young lady was provided with a candle, and a-well, no, not a "black bottle," but a bottle of salts, let us say. The procession was loudly cheered at various points on the route, and it was thought that the affair was to pass off without a jar, when suddenly, as the chief marshaless and her staff were about to descend the stairs leading to the ground floor, they were assaulted with orange peel, and showers of water by a body of hoodlumettes ensconced upon the stairs above. This assault was the signal for little less than a riot; hairpins were drawn on both sides, and a general scrimmage seemed unavoidable. The attacking party seemed to be overawed, however, by the superior numbers of their opponents, and withdrew in disorderly haste. With the exception of this incident the demonstration was a rousing success. The procession was an hour in passing a given point, -the dining hall, where a collation was spread. There has never been an affair of such magnitude recorded in the previous annals of the college.

But recent events have changed the aspect of the political horizon. Blaine and Logan have been elected to stay at home, and Cleveland has fulfilled the hopes of his party. The Democratic students now have their innings, and arrangements are now being perfected for a jollification which shall totally eclipse the previous efforts of the college.