Reds and Blues.

MEMORIAL HALL WAITERS ENGAGE IN A LIVELY FOOT BALL MATCH.

Thanksgiving day was celebrated in Cambridge in a novel manner. About ten o'clock a number of students gathered on Jarvis Field to see the long-talked-of match between the elevens chosen from the waiters at the upper and lower ends of Memorial Hall. The two elevens appeared, or rather straggled upon the field at about the same time, and were the subject of universal comment and admiration. The blues were headed by a pair of 200-pounders, about as large around as they were tall, while to offset them the reds showed up a couple of six-footers of stalwart build, one of whom was clad in a gorgeous crimson rowing jersey, and the other in a loose flannel shirt. The balance of the men were of medium build, gradually dwindling down to the small but active full-back of the blues, gay in sky-blue campaign blouse and skull cap. There was an apparent lack of canvas jackets, but the increasing demand for those articles on account of the late order of the committee on athletics had depleted the home market, and the players had to content themselves with flannel shirts of various hues, to say nothing of old coats.

A referce having been chosen from among the spectators, the ball was "set," to use their expression, and the elevens lined up, the reds having the west end and the wind. The contest began with a lively rush and skirmish on the right flank of the reds, until a long drawn "d-ow-n" from the bottom of a pile of ebony rushers ended it and the men pulled themselves off. The quarter-backs were so good and the blocking so steady, that the side which had the "down" usually lost many yards before another halt was made. "Line up, Charley," "No throating," "holler down," "get off there," were among the frequent exclamations as the game went on, and the players grew more and more excited. The reds forced the blues to a safety, and one of the latter, a long-legged waiter dude got the ball, and making a tremendous run, scored a touchdown. One of the 200-pounders took out the ball and lying on his stomach held it, but the try at goal failed. Then the reds had a stroke of luck and made a touchdown, from which, after much advice from all sides, a goal was kicked.

Two half hours were played in all, and the game was characterized by, despite its fierceness, a friendly feeling which ought to commend this noble, but much abused game, to the college authorities. When one man had a cramp, both sides formed tug-of-war teams, by holding each other's waists, and would have pulled the poor fellow apart in their endeavors to cure him, had not the injured member recovered just in time to prevent such a catastrophe. fickle fortune again favored the blues toward the end of the game, so that at the finish the score stood 14 to 8 in their favor. The tackling and dropping on the ball was so fine, that the freshman eleven, which had come out to practice, stood interested spectators, getting points in preparation for their game with Yale. The battle over, after three cheers, these mighty exponents of the game became simple waiters once more, and retired to the haunts of hash and cold corned beef.