English Tennis Champions.

First, and in a class distinctively above all others, we must of course place the champion, W. Renshaw, who has not known defeat since he first won the proud title four years ago. True his single matches are few and far between, as he contents himself with the one contest annually, necessary to enable him to retain his position as champion, but his play on that occasion at Wimbledon last July, and in the double matches and exhibition games that he has taken part in, have shown beyond doubt that he is facile princeps at the pastime. It would certainly be more satisfactory if he played oftener in single-handed matches as a second contest with Lawford, or a set or two with Grimstead would prove very interesting to players generally. The champion appears to combine in his person all the qualifications necessary to make a grand player. Watch his play as critically as you please, and you cannot find a weak spot, Many people have an idea that W. Renshaw's strength is in his volleying and smashing, but this was entirely disproved in his match against Lawford, when he showed himself as strong at the back of the court as at the net. His play in the first set of the championship match was admitted by all the best judges to be the most correct and brilliant exhibition of the game ever seen, and it was, indeed, a treat to witness it.

Second on the list, and also in a class by himself, we must place H. F. Lawford, the great exponent of back court play. The game owes much to the consistent manner in which Mr. Lawford has argued, and, what is far better, demonstrated, that as good play can be shown from the base line as by the volleyers, Driving the ball hard and low, and placing it with unerring judgment, Mr. Lawford has proved beyond fear of contradiction that it is possible to completely defeat the wily schemes of the "man at the net." E. Renshaw, E. de S. Browne, C. W. Grimstead, and E. L. Williams, all noted as adepts at the volley, have successively fallen before the powerful play of Mr. Lawford, and as his only reverse was that administered by the champion, we are undoubtedly justified in accepting him as the second best player in the kingdom.

As distinctly as W. Renshaw is at the head of the men, so is Miss Maud Watson the premier lady player. Indeed, if anything, she is even a greater champion than the gentleman named, for she has never been defeated, and this, too, despite the fact that, unlike him, she does not hold her championship and play but one match a year, for, with commendable pluck and good nature, she allows all a chance of lowering her colors. She has competed in four open competitions this year, having met and defeated all the best players, among whom we may mention her sister, Miss Watson, Miss May Langrishe, Miss B. Langrishe, Miss Cole, Mrs. Cole, Mrs. Watts and Miss Bingley, the only lady who has taken a prominent position that she has not met this season being Miss Davies. This lady was defeated by Mrs. Watts at Leicester, and as the latter was afterwards beaten by Miss M. Watson at Exmouth, on collateral form, the Berkeswell lady is considerably her superior. The lady champion plays such a strong game, and is possessed of such excellent nerve and judgment, that with good health she bids fair to retain her proud position for some time to come.-[Pastime.