Presentation of Junior Honors at Dartmouth.

Dartmouth seems to be a place of peculiar customs, Aside from the "AEgis" there is the "Freshman Freaks" published after the end of the Freshman year; the annual "cremation" of Mathematical text books with appropriate exerciser, at the end of the Sophomore year; and at the beginning of the Junior year what is called the "Presentation of Junior Honors." The class of '86 held their exercises Oct. 28, 1884, enlivened with music by the Junior Glee Club. Although the exercise were rather rough on some of the recipients, it seems that all entered into the sport with much spirit. After music the first thing was the presentation of the Mirror, a suggestive present to the best looking fellow in the class, by the one upon whom nature has wreaked her vengeance to such an extent as to make him the homeliest. In the Presentation of Honors of '86, the homely man failed to appear, so a committee was sent after him. He was found in his room but no inducement could bring him out, for, said he, "even if I am homely, I am strong, and you will need a larger crowd than this to take one to the meeting." The exercises had to go on without him, and the next thing was the presentation of the cradle, which was given to a man who came to the college green and countrified and suddenly blossomed out into the toughest man in the class. Spurs were given to the one who used the most steeds (ponys and trots) by the men who used them least. Music followed; and then the "Jaw bone of an ass" was received by the man with the most "gall." from the quietest fellow." The "Spade" and "Pillow" were given to the greatest dig and to the laziest man respectively. A "Spoon" was presented to the greatest eater, a Comb to the man who best represented that class; and a Knife to the greatest "cutter" all by the men who were there direct opposites. Music and a spread ended the festivities. Dartmouth being a temperance college nothing but water and lemonade was sued for the toasts, and all insinuation concerning three barrels of beer and mysterious cases which the outside gossip thought might contain wine are of course perfectly false.

T.