HARVARD CLUB OF CHICAGO.

The annual dinner of the Chicago Harvard Club was held last week at the Grand Pacific Hotel: After a few snatches of song had been given at intervals, the chairman, Gardner G. Willard, Briefly introduced Prof. BYerly, of the Harvard faculty, stating that as the dinner was an informal one there would not be any set speeches. Prof. Byerly referred with pride to the flourishing condition of the university, and of the benefit resulting to the students from athletic sports, which encouraged a spirit of manliness and of self-reliance. He was glad to be able to state that at present the relations between the faculty and the students were more cordial than formerly, and that the university was becoming every day more national; the number of New England students was decreasing, whilst the number of those from the south and west was increasing. In conclusion, he felt confident that their ambition that Harvard should become a national university, and not a New England one merely, would be fulfilled in the lifetime of those present. "Fair Harvard" was then sung by those assembled, Messrs. Joseph Shippen and James P. Kelley leading. Following this, the president called on Mr. George F. Harding on "The Times of '49." Mr. Harding referred to the improvements that had taken place since his younger days, principally to those in the higher law-improvements due in no small degree to men who had graduated from Harvard; and he hoped that present and future Harvard men would keep up the imperishable glories of the past.

The president paid a tribute to the memory of Prof. Sophocles, and called upon Mr. Edwin H. Abbott to say a few words about him and his last moments. Mr. Abbott stated that after his death many letters were discovered showing his kindliness. He had been in the habit of sending presents to the monks on Mount Sinai, amongst whom he had been educated as a boy, and had never forgotten them. "Lauriger Horatius" was then sung, and the company dispersed.

The following were the guests:

C. H. Gates, '35; Charles Gilman Smith, '47; Francis P. Fischer, Frederick P. Fischer, '48; Geerge F. Harding, Edward L. Holmes, '49; Louis Shissler, '54; Edwin H. Abbott, William Parsons, '55; John V. Cowling, '57; C. Gilbert Wheeler, '58; William Eliot Furness, Joseph Shippen, '60; Edward D. Hosmer, '65; Philon C. Whidden, '66; Warner Vespasian, Holdridge O. Collins, George A. Follansbee, David N. Utter '67; Moses J. Wentworth, '68; George H. Ball, Charles L. Capen, Gardner G. Willard, Augustus E. Wilson, Joseph L. Silsbee, James P. Kelly, '69; James B. Galloway, Henry A. Gardner, '70; Walter C. Larned, '71; Henry B. Stone, Lewis S. Osborn, '73; W. G. McMillan, '73; Monroe L. Willard, '75; Henry S. Boutell, '76; Samuel A. Lynde, '77; Henry W. Buyant, Arthur F. McArthur, Herman W. Grannis, William D. Howard, William H. Hubbard, Edgar Madden, Hiram H. Rose, '79; Francis B. Keene, '80; H. M. Perry. Heyllger A. De Windt, George A. Staples, Harry Hubbard, '81: H. Crawford, Jr., Charles E. Rand, '83, and Prof. Byerly, of the faculty of the college.