HARVARD SCHOOLS.

Until within the last few years the influx of students to Harvard College has come, to a great extent, from the New England States, Massachusetts in particular, and so large has the percent from Boston and its environs amounted to, that the college has had the name of being a Boston college altogether. Latterly, while the New England element has remained about the same, the increase from the south and west has been noteworthy, and its influence is felt more and more each year upon the classes. Many people believe that the influence and reputation of the college accounts for this, and in a measure it does undoubtedly help, yet the cause lies deeper and may be explained by the fact that a number of college schools are rapidly springing up in the large cities. It has long been known that Harvard owes much to the excellent school system maintained in New England, and where the tendency of the school is toward Harvard, the number of applicants for admission is gratifying. Then there is a pride among New Englanders at having an university so essentially their own, and its nearness also contributes in no small degree to its popularity, not to mention the superior advantages afforded men who desire to pursue a special course of study.

The preparatory schools throughout New England furnish a large portion of the different classes with a set of men better adapted and fitted for college life than the private school element. But a Southerner or Westerner is without the circle of Harvard influence, nor is he fired by the enthusiasm of his companions as many a new Englander is. The number of colleges giving a passable education nearer at hand offer a great inducement to remain at home, and he thinks that the education will be as beneficial, if not quite as fine as Harvard's. Moreover, although Harvard's position is almost universally conceded to be first, yet there is a lamentable ignorance, among men who live at a distance, of the great advantages of a Harvard course. This ignorance, the establishing of fitting schools whose tendency is toward Harvard, is rapidly dispelling. Already in many cities a certain school is known as a Harvard school, and although it prepares men for other colleges, yet it brings much influence to bear upon the uncertain and directs them toward Cambridge. These schools ought to be encouraged by the university, and if need be, come under the personal supervision of the overseers. Let but three or four such schools be established, say one at New York, another at Philadelphia, one at Chicago, and another at New Orleans, and be watched over by the corporation, let capable instructors, Harvard graduates, be placed over them, and the increase in college students both in the academic and special courses, would amply repay the slight trouble taken by the college. M.