ENGLISH PREPARATORY SCHOOLS, HARROW.

The small village which is made renowned by one of the largest schools in England, is about ten miles distant from London, and is generally called Harrow on Hill, as it is built about a small eminence. The school was founded in 1571 by "one John Lyon," a yeoman of the neighboring village of Preston, who gave the sum of twenty marks annually for the support and education of the village children. In the same year the school charter was granted by Queen Elizabeth, who approved of the statutes drawn up by Lyon; but notwithstanding the removal of all obstacles, the school was not opened until 1614. When John Lyon died, he made a will giving two-thirds of his property to Harrow School, and one-third to the town, but owing to some change or dispute in the will the school only gets L1,600, while the burghers get L3,500. At first, all foreigners (or boys from other parishes) were disqualified for entrance, but this rule was soon abolished, and this school then rapidly became celebrated. The villagers of Harrow with the proverbial narrowness and obstinacy of the English yeomen, appealed to the court of Chancery to forbid the admittance of strangers. But this was not granted, although some concession was made in allowing Harrow boys to receive their education cheaper than the others.

The government of the school was originally in the hands of six men, elected from the parish, who filled all vacancies which might occur in their number, but this monopoly ended fifteen years ago, and the government now consists of the surviving members of the old board, with six others appointed by the Lord Chancellor from the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and London, the Royal Society, and from the masters of the school. A number of fellowships are connected with the school at various colleges, but principally at Oxford. For a long time after its foundation, classical studies were alone fursued, but mathematics were added in 1837, and modern languages twenty-four years later. The old buildings were occupied until the beginning of this century, when no ones were erected, together with a chapel. The chapel has since been replaced by a larger and finer edifice, and lately the fine Vaughan library and a school hospital have been built. Buron was a graduate of this school; also Peel, Canning, Sheridan, and many other men of note, although Eton bears the palm for educating remarkable men.