DANGER OF INTERFERENCE IN ATHLETICS.

Certainly the situation is not so deplorable as to justify a movement which might be accompanied by outbreaks similar to that which recently occurred at Princeton, disturbances which do more harm both to the students and the college in a day than all the "professionalism" which now exists could in years.

This phase of the matter is of vital importance because it is that which affects the relations of the faculties and students. The former look at the moral and the latter at the practical effects of the proposed change. Destroy the good relations which exist between the governing body and the students and the usefulness of the college is greatly impaired. So it seems clear that, in a case like this, where the students are so directly affected, their desires ought to have a good deal of weight in determining the result. To ignore them and to aim for a higher moral standard regardless of consequences would be to get rid of one evil, and at the same time to invite a worse one-chronic discontent among the young men. If anything further is done in the matter would it not be the part of wisdom and prudence to restrict the movement to an attempt to rescue football from the category of exhibitions of brutality? This "sport" seems to us to be most in need of reform. Life would still be worth living for the Harvard undergraduate, even if Yale were shut out from these contests, provided base-ball, the race at New London, and other athletics were not interfered with. [Transcript.