ELECTRIC LIGHTS IN COLLEGE BUILDINGS.

It is very evident that the students of Harvard University, or many of them, ardently desire to have the Incandescent electric light adopted by the faculty, to be placed in the library and elsewhere upon its premises; if it should be decided by the faculty to use the Incandescent lamp, there are many things to be considered before a hasty adoption. The Arc light is entirely outside of the enquiry. Then comes the question, which is the best and why? The Incandescent lamps with a carbon filament are easily destroyed, and there is more or less danger of fire on account of the amount of power used, which requires the larger wire to convey the electric fluid. The best carbon is the cylinder carbon, which has a much greater illuminating surface and consumes only one quarter as much power as the filament carbon, and gives four fold the amount of light for the same power, requiring at the same time a very small wire, thereby avoiding all danger from fire. It is fifty percent. cheaper than the gas that is being used in Cambridge at this time. The Incandescent lamp constructed with the carbon tube or cylinder, gained great renown at the world's fair of electricity at Vienna last autumn and is considered to be the best electric light in existence, adapted to indoor and out-door lighting, and has not its equal for night study, and as it possesses the same quality as the sun light, it never injures nor tires the eye.

ECONOMY.